Geometrical Constraints in Design of Metal Ligands and Chiral Sensors
posted by Department of Chemistry for HKU and Public
Event Type: Public Lecture/Forum/Seminar/Workshop/Conference/Symposium
Event Nature: Science & Technology
Prof. Hyunwoo Kim
Department of Chemistry, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST),Korea
on Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 17:30
Lecture Theatre P1, CYM Chemistry Building
Tea will be served at 17:15 in the Departmental Lobby on the G/F Chong Yuet Ming Chemistry Building
The so-called privileged ligands have been creatively used to enhance the catalytic performance of various transition metals. The ultimate goal of my research is to develop another class of privileged ligands for organo- and transition-metal catalysts. During the last several years of research, we have observed a remarkable reactivity of 2,2’-dihydroxybenzophenone, which is based on a new phosphorus ligand (briphos) and chiral sensors (CASA reagents). In order to explain the unexpected electronic properties of briphos ligands, we have proposed a new concept, geometric control, to modulate the ligand property in addition to conventional steric and electronic control. We have shown that the briphos ligand can be a tunable and scalable π–acceptor ligands for Rh-catalyzed conjugate additions of boronic acids and Pd-catalyzed dehydrative couplings of allylic alcohols. We also have reported that negatively charged octahedral Al complexes can be conveniently used for 1H NMR chiral analysis of various charged molecules including amines and carboxylic acids as well as alcohols. In addition, a new Fe-NO3 catalyst was developed and used for selective formation of cyclic carbonates from internal epoxides and CO2.
1. Seo, M.-S.; Jang, S.; Kim, H.*, Chem. Commun, 2018, ASAP.
2. Sinha, I.; Lee, Y.; Bae, C.; Tussupbayev, S.; Lee, Y.; Seo, M.-S.; Kim, J.; Baik, M.-H.*; Lee, Y.*; Kim, H.*, Catal. Sci. Technol. 2017, 7, 4375.
3. Jung, H.; Lee, A.; Kim, J.; Kim, H.*, Baik, M.-H.* Adv. Synth, Catal, 2017, 359, 3160.
4. Lee, A.; Kim, H.*, J. Org. Chem. 2016, 81, 3520.
5. Kang, J.; Kim, J.; Lee, A.; Kim, W. Y.; Kim, H.*, Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 616.
6. Seo, M. S.; Kim, H.*, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 14190.
7. Lee, A.; Kim, H.*, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 11250.
8. Lee, A.; Ahn, S.; Kang, K.; Seo, M.-S.; Kim, Y.; Kim, W. Y.*; Kim, H.* Org. Lett. 2014, 16, 5490.
|Venue||Lecture Theatre P1, CYM Chemistry Building|
Registration is not required.
Should you have any enquiries, please feel free to contact Lam Chak Fung Daniel by email at firstname.lastname@example.org