Travel Writing Course: Emerson College Kasteel Well Summer Programs 2017
posted by Faculty of Arts for HKU and Public
Event Type: Public Lecture/Forum/Seminar/Workshop/Conference/Symposium
Event Nature: Culture and Arts
This course invites you to write, workshop, and revise short works of creative nonfiction (and some fiction) inspired by your time in Europe, and to practice attentive journaling of your observations and experiences to make the most of your travels. We will take a broad view of travel writing with an emphasis on trying out diverse approaches, styles, and techniques.
As we explore the area around Kasteel Well and go on excursions to Amsterdam and Alpine Italy, you will read and write to unlock travel’s ability to help us look both within and without, sometimes writing with yourself at the center, at others focusing on vivid depictions of the people and customs around you, and at still others allowing your imagination to go where it will. Our writing will be complemented by lectures providing literary and historical perspectives, to help us consider what it means to write responsibly and accurately about places and cultures in which we are not “local” and may not speak a common language — a conversation to be enhanced and informed by the exciting crosscultural, cross-campus collaboration of our own class, which will bring together students from Emerson with students from Hong Kong University.
US$6,100 – Five-week program (equivalent to 6 HKU Credits for BA students)
US$3,100 - Three-week program (No HKU credits)
US$3,650 - Five-week program (No HKU credits)
Scholarships / allowance available, please click: http://www.aal.hku.hk/summerinstitute/studyabroad/abroadprogrammes/scholarship-financial-assistance/
Three-week program: Arrival/Orientation weekend-Friday to Sunday (9th-11th June, 2017) Classes begin on Monday (12th June, 2017) End of program/Departure from campus on Sunday (2nd July, 2017)
Five-week program (with an extended 2 weeks): Arrival/Orientation weekend-Friday to Sunday (9th-11th June, 2017) Classes begin on Monday (12th June, 2017) End of program/Departure from campus on Sunday (16th July, 2017)
Program Fees include:
* Arrival and Departure (group) ground transportation to/from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to/from Kasteel Well campus
* Required excursion city accommodations and some meals
* Required excursion city museum admissions and special event entry tickets
* Third Party Liability Insurance. This policy will cover a student's personal liability for damages, loss of property, injury, or death caused or inflicted while participating in the Kasteel Well Program
* International Student Identity Card (ISIC)
* Admission to a number of social activities on campus
NOT included are:
* Return Airfare to/from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
* Meals on Saturdays and Sundays (except for during required excursions)
* Medical Health Insurance (All participants must have a Medical Health Insurance covering Europe)
* Students must arrange for valid visa/passport on their own before arrival.
About Emerson College:
Emerson College, located in the heart of Boston, Massachusetts, is the nation’s premier institution in higher education devoted to communication and the arts in a liberal arts context.
Emerson is internationally recognized in its fields of specialization, which are communication studies; marketing communication; journalism; communication sciences and disorders; visual and media arts; the performing arts; and writing, literature and publishing.
Emerson College has been the exchange partner of the Faculty of Arts, HKU since 2015.
Enquiries: Mr Cyrus Chan (email: email@example.com / tel +852 3917 4984)
|Venue||Kasteel Well, Amsterdam and Alpine Italy|
Registration is open from 08/12/2016 10:00(HKT) to 26/01/2017 11:00(HKT) on a first-come-first-served basis.
* Registration is now closed.